Straighten & Retwist the Corkscrew for Airports?

Home Forums Stealth Products Straighten & Retwist the Corkscrew for Airports?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Myspam
    Participant

I’ve only had my corkscrew for a few weeks and the coating on it seems very durable!  Has anyone straightened their corkscrew and then re-coiled it in the other direction?   My sense of righty tighty, lefty loosey is backwards when I tighten and loosen the coils.

Also, I travel often and while I have worn the innerwear without fear through airport security many times, I know the lead corkscrew is a no-go! Even coiled in my carry on, I think security will be curious and want to take it out and swab it down for bomb material… however, if I straighten the coil along the edge of my bag, it will appear as part of the suitcase frame and easily go unnoticed (at least that’s my guess). Has anyone carried on the corkscrew through airport security (not wearing it obviously)?

I wonder if the coating will flake or wear out over time if I straighten and then re-coil the corkscrew many times?

StephenM
    Participant

TSA Airport security and United Airlines did not even flinch at my Corkscrew going through checked baggage in a domestic flight. It was coiled as it is designed to be coiled… on the tube designed for it.

Myspam
    Participant

Thanks Stephen. I expect checked bags (under the plane) to be fine, but TSA has always stopped me with the autoXsleeve weight cap in my carry on. I’ve even been pulled out of line and swabbed down because I had cheese in my carry on! Lol… hopefully you meant carry on and the coil of lead passed through the X-ray with no one carrying?

StephenM
    Participant

Hi, MySpam.

Rather than alarm any TSA staffer with undetectable or questionable items in my carry-on, I urge only putting the Corkscrew in checked luggage. Having been a “road-warrior” with airline miles accumulating to the hundreds-of-thousands, the extra 22-minute wait for checked baggage that holds any oddities is valuable when  it allows TSA agents to more calmly do their “thankless” work of detecting risks and anti-social behavior.

Having only a modest study of metallurgy and the molecular (crystalline) patterns needing respectful care to maintain their integrity, I would never, ever uncoil or reverse coil the Corkscrew and expect it to retain the properties it was designed to serve. –Just a bit of old school perspective —

Stealth Man
    Keymaster

Haha… I laughed out loud at the swabbing of the coil as potential bomb material.

I never thought about the reverse coiling as it is both tightened and loosened which requires rotation in both directions. I guess if your a lefty then the more vigorous twist to tighten might be preferred in the opposite direction. Have you tried the opposite hand at the top for twisting to your strong hand… that might be enough to give you a more natural direction of rotation.

You could possibly uncoil, straighten and recoil in the other direction by that might make the metal a bit stiffer but you could get away with it and not cause a serious problem.

You need not be concerned about the plastic skin that encases the lead… it is not going to weaken and crack, split or flake no matter how much the coil is manipulated.

Myspam
    Participant

Thanks Stealth Man!  I am enjoying the *flexibility* of this awesome product!

Stealth Man
    Keymaster

Your most welcome.. thanks for the feedback!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Only users that have purchased Stealth products can participate in the forums.

Latest Topics